Search This Blog

Friday, October 26, 2007

At the Movies: For the Bible Tells Me So

A good friend of mine and much-beloved Denver theatre performer, Carla Kotrc, suggested this film to me, and I am very grateful to her for the recommendation.
For The Bible Tells Me So is a moving documentary that attempts to reconcile homosexuality with the Bible. Believe it or not, it can be done.
Obviously, this documentary has an agenda (most good ones do), but it is surprisingly "un-preachy" as it examines the stories of several Christian families with gay children, including the family of former Congressman and presidential nominee Dick Gephardt. (The trailer, which I've attached below, gives the impression that the film is a bit more heavy-handed than it actually is.)
Intelligent, witty, and thought-provoking, For The Bible Tells Me So helps to show how the "vs." can be removed from the relationship between homosexuality and the Judeo-Christian tradition.
While I'd like this film to be seen by a few of the sign-waving Dobson followers I have encountered over the last few years, it might take some doing to get them to let go of a belief system that is so ingrained. Still, I know many Christians and Jews for whom their church or synagogue's take on the issue of homosexuality has sparked a crisis of faith. This film could serve to alleviate that crisis a bit.
The Denver run of this film just got extended through November 2nd at the Starz Film Center in the Tivoli on the Auraria Campus, but that still doesn't leave much time to see it before it goes, and, with independent films like this, it's hard to tell when they'll be released on DVD. You'll have to keep an eye on their website.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this. I am a lot of things. I do not enjoy definitions. I am female. I am a Theatre major. I am Buddhist. And I am a lesbian. I have been lucky enough to find my soulmate. And she makes me happier than I ever knew was possible. We are getting married next Halloween. And it is difficult going out with the person you are betrothed to and having people shout negative things at you. It is difficult knowing that our union will not be recognized by the world at large. It is difficult knowing people hate me and they do not even know me. This touched me in a way I cannot express with mere words. And I am grateful to you for sharing it with me.