Search This Blog

Saturday, May 22, 2010

An Unceremonious End

I mentioned in my last entry that I needed a little break, explaining my blog silence for a couple of weeks. Well, now I'm thinking that I need more than just a break.
I've been in a bit of an internal wrestling match lately regarding this blog. On the one hand, I do enjoy writing it when I feel that I have something to write about (there's the rub, of course), but, on the other hand, I'm not sure that I'm still serving the purpose that I set out to in the beginning.
I've almost completely abandoned writing about specific local productions, because I don't really like that people were looking upon my blogs as critical reviews (which I've talked about before). So, I've moved more into the area of general discussions about theatre. Most of the "discussions" there, though, occur between me and the spammers. (You all don't see their posts, but I seem to spend most of my time on this blog lately rejecting spam.) This suggests to me that there isn't a lot of interest in what I have to say or the way that I choose to say it.
Recently, I added Google ads to this page at the recommendation of several friends. One of the first local ads that appeared was for a theatre company presenting the fourth local production of a musical in eighteen months, and you have all seen how I rail about that sort of thing. I believe I could actually see my integrity going down the drain.
Earlier today when I was toying with the notion of ending this blog, a thought entered my head.
The Colorado Shakespeare Festival is coming up, and if I end my blog now, I won't be able to get the media comp tickets anymore.
Well, the fact that I entertained that thought - even for a moment - made me realize that the reasons for starting this blog and the reasons for continuing it are worlds apart in terms of philosophy.
I've tried to make a difference with this blog, and whether I have or I have not is one of those things that I simply may never know.
It was fun until it wasn't fun anymore. It was good while it lasted, but I think it's lasted long enough.
I'll leave this entry up for about a week for those followers who only drop in periodically, and then I'm going to hit the "delete blog" button.
I may return to the blogosphere again at some point, but I think it's time to let the One Big Bad Wolf return to the wilds from whence he came.
As the Irish say:
"May good luck be your friend in whatever you do, and may trouble always be a stranger to you."

EDIT - Okay, by request, I will leave this blog up for a while longer for those wishing to re-read or save any of the older entries. Eventually, though, it will be deleted.

2 comments:

Prof. Jenn said...

That's too bad. It's nice to read intelligently written work that's actually done by someone local. Oh well.
Let me know if you ever want to do guest posts on Daily Cross-Swords.
~Jenn

Anonymous said...

Sorry to see you go. I was an anonymous reader and never made any comments, but I always appreciated your viewpoint and the topics you chose to discuss. I understand when something loses its "fun" factor. Best of luck to you findind the fun again.

- Patricia