Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

At the Movies: Superbad

Those of you who know me apart from this blog know that I have a pretty full schedule these days between school and work, so I don't find that I have a whole lot of time for doing other things like maintaining my blog (sorry, I'll make it up to you all, I promise) and getting out to see theatre or movies.
The one film that I have seen in the last few weeks is one that I had been anticipating for some time:

Superbad

At first glance, this film is your basic raunchy teenage sex comedy, but, I've got to tell you, this one runs just a little bit deeper. You'd never guess it from the sophomoric language and crude humor, but this is a quest story.
Our three "knights" are Seth (Jonah Hill), Evan (the brilliant Michael Cera from Arrested Development), and Fogell (newcomer Christopher Mintz-Plasse). Their "grail" is, well, it's a teenage sex comedy, so you figure it out, but it means something different to each of them. Along the way, the bond of male friendship, sacrifice, and the fear of the unknown are explored in a way very much unlike anything I've ever seen. Mostly this is because I was so busy laughing at the absurd hi jinks of this film that the deeper themes did not begin to resonate with me until much later.
I'm a little reluctant to give a blanket recommendation in this movie because the language is so coarse and provocative and the storyline is so raunchy. Still, if you can get past that (and I recommend at least trying to do so) this is a really terrific and clever film.

I want to apologize again that my blogging has diminished slightly (sounds like a medical problem, doesn't it?), but I'm getting my schedule worked out a little better, so I hope to have some more fun stuff to blog about very soon.
Also, I'm working on a little surprise for you all. You're gonna love it, trust me.
Thanks, my faithful cherubs.
I will have more for you very soon.

No comments: