Search This Blog

Friday, February 8, 2008

House Rules

The headline of this entry has a double meaning.
First, I'm glad that there have been a couple more episodes of my favorite (American) T.V. show, "House M.D" since so many other programs have taken an extended and indefinite hiatus during the W.G.A. strike. Sadly, I think a couple more was all I was going to get. The "replacements" are already lining up. "Reality" television. The great wasteland of "Look at me! Look at me!" seekers of fifteen minutes of fame who both are and appeal to the lowest common denominator of the human condition.
Seems like a really good time to catch one of the great shows playing live at a theatre near you.
There's Beauty and the Beast over at the Lakewood Cultural Center, Uncorked Productions' Closer, and Music For a Sparkling Planet over at the John Hand, just to name a few.
There's also the second meaning behind today's headline, Our House, an original play I enjoyed last night over at the DCPA. Our House is a scathing look at the phenomena of network reality T.V.
The script is clever (if a bit heavy-handed at times) and the performances are absolutely engaging. Be forewarned: t's adult in nature, and it may not be for all tastes, which might explain why the audiences have been small. Still, what good is only going to safe theatre? I applaud DCTC artistic director Kent Thompson for taking chances. To me, that's what theatre is all about, and, again, I really enjoyed the show. It only runs through February 16, so, if you want to see it, you'd better hurry.
Remember, too, that students can show up one hour before any performance, show I.D. and get tickets (if available) for only $10. That's just about the best theatre deal in town.

No comments: