Search This Blog

Thursday, April 29, 2010

What Price Fame?

I wrote on A Petrified Fountain of Thought today about the brilliantly funny and poignant BBC/HBO series Extras created by (and starring) Stephen Merchant and Ricky Gervais (fast becoming one of my favorite actors to watch on screen). Over two series and a Christmas Special we are taken on the hilarious ride of movie extra Andy Millman (Gervais) as he rises from obscurity to fame to infamy to - well, I won't give it away.
I had heard about the 2005-2007 series, but I had not watched it until a friend loaned me the entire series on DVD. I fear I may have to buy a new copy for my friend as the laser on my machine may be boring a hole in the DVD of the Christmas Special at just about the point of the scene that I am going to include here.
For context, Andy - in a desperate attempt to regain some of his lost fame - has joined the cast of the Big Brother reality TV show and reaches an . . . epiphany.

No comments: