Search This Blog

Saturday, September 27, 2008

Heroism

I haven't a lot to say today. One of my heroes has passed from this earth. Paul Newman was one of the best actors that this world has seen, and one of the best human beings as well.
53 years in film, including two of my all-time favorites: The Sting and Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.
$250 million dollars raised for charity via his side business, Newman's Own.
I remember as a kid seeing his face on a bottle of salad dressing and saying to my mother, "Isn't that Butch Cassidy?"
When I had confirmed that it was, I was puzzled. My dad sometimes had to take on extra work to make ends meet on the ranch, but surely movie stars made better money than ranchers. Then when I read on the bottle that the money raised from the salad dressing went to charity, I began to understand the concept of "giving back."
In an attempt to follow in his example, I have endeavoured in my career as an artist to give back whenever and in whatever way that I can -- even when my income has been far less than that of the average struggling rancher.
Paul Newman was, is, and forever will be one of my heroes. My thoughts go out to his family.

No comments: