Search This Blog

Saturday, May 12, 2007

Dramatic Mayhem at the State Capitol

Well, that was fun. It really was.
As I mentioned before, 365 Days/365 Plays found itself without a theatre company to perform week 26 in our state’s cycle, so the Colorado coordinator, Brenda Cook, sent out a call for actors earlier this week to help perform the 7 plays in front of the state capitol.
Well, I decided that this sounded like a lot of fun, so I made my way to the capitol today and, with Brenda Cook and two more intrepid performers, Flavia Florezell and Stephen Pierce, performed in seven short but insightful plays by Susan-Lori Parks. We didn’t take even a moment to read over the scripts beforehand. Brenda quickly assigned parts and, at Stephen’s suggestion, we just dove right in to the coldest of cold readings that I’ve ever been involved with. What fun! While my companions were far more adept than I, it was a unique exercise, both dramatically and physically, as we leapt over railings, stood atop benches, and scaled stairs in what just might be the most acrobatic reading of shows in this entire cycle. I had a blast, and I would like to thank Brenda, Stephen, and Flavia for the one-of-a-kind experience. Well let’s hope it was "one-of-a-kind," anyway. I think that the remaining 26 weeks are pretty well covered. Next up is Single Carrot Productions (formerly New 22) in Boulder.

There's still time to get those birthday cards in the mail to Shane Bernier, let's keep putting smiles on that little guy's face.

And, speaking of birthdays, I'd like to send out best wishes to my dear, irrepressible Miss Binks. Happy Birthday, kitten.

No comments: