Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Movies: Seraphim Falls, Crackerjack, To Catch a Thief

Seraphim Falls(2006)

The plot (from IMDb): At the end of the Civil War, a colonel (Liam Neeson) hunts down a man (Pierce Brosnan) with whom he has a grudge.

I have to admit that this is a film that slipped under my radar, which is pretty rare for me where Pierce Brosnan movies are concerned. Plus there's Liam Neeson, and it's a Western, so the minute I heard about this movie, I sought it out to rent.
As is to be expected, the performances in this film are terrific, and the action sequences are very impressive. (No CGI as far as I could tell.) It's a brutal film in just about every sense of the word, and it's not your typical Western. Some movie-goers may take umbrage with the last fifteen minutes of the film, but to them I would say, "Open your mind."
I liked this movie, but I knew that I would going into it.

Crackerjack (1938)
The plot: Gentleman thief Jack Drake is a modern-day Robin Hood, stealing from the rich and giving to the needy.

This is a charming film, but I was hoping for a bit more of a swashbuckler myself. Still, it's witty and fun.

To Catch A Thief (1955)
The plot (from IMDb): Stars Cary Grant as a former thief suspected of a new series of crimes and Grace Kelly as the woman who romances him.

In the "they-don't-make-em-like-they-used-to" category, this Hitchcock thriller is high on the list. This film marked Cary Grant's return to acting, and he is as dashing as ever. Grace Kelly is much more than just another very, very pretty face, herself, as she absolutely sizzles on screen.
Humor, suspense, romance, and some of the best dialogue you'll hear on film make this movie a must-see for anyone who likes to consider themselves a film buff. A really, really great movie.

No comments: