Search This Blog

Friday, June 12, 2009

Twitter Me This

When I first heard about this thing called Twitter, I thought to myself, "Why on earth would I want to post to the world what I am doing at every (or any) given moment of the day?"
The truth is, as a fairly private person, I find the prospect scary.
However, I have resolved in my life to do more things that scare me. (Things that are not inherently dangerous, that is. I still eschew things like wrestling alligators and dating actresses.)
So, last night, I dipped my toe rather apprehensively into the cyber lake that is Twitter. I immediately picked up three "followers" which I am sure is something automatically built into the system to make new Twitterers feel accepted and interesting. It is merely a ploy. Still, it is an effective one. (I have three followers! Yay me!)
I have only made a handful of "tweets" in the last 24 hours, but, so far, I find it somewhat exciting. Yes, I said exciting.
I may not be the most interesting person in the world, but I do think that I occasionally have an interesting thought or observation pass through my brain. Usually it dies there. By the time I get around to writing a blog in which I was to include this thought, I have self-edited it (or forgotten it) right out of existence.
Sometimes I say it aloud upon thinking it, but there is seldom an audience to hear it. Usually, that audience is Adelaide, who feigns only enough interest to interject her own thought, which is usually "Food." (Technically, she says, "Meow," but I know what she means.)
I am also prevented, by the parameters of Tweeting, from explaining or elaborating on a thought -- something that would invariably diminish it.
There is a purity to Twitter that I would not have expected, and I think I actually like it.
For how long, who knows?
Of course, that is the nature of life, is it not? We enjoy something for a while, and then we move on to something else.
I used to be voraciously obsessed with comic books and superheroes. Now, as an adult, I find myself only passionately obsessed.
See? That is the ebb and flow of life.
Oh, my twitter ID is badwolf1013 for those of you who Twitter and are interested in following the riveting saga of whether or not I am going to shave my beard.

No comments: