Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Tuesday Tunes: Local Flavor

Today on Tuesday Tunes I thought I'd do something that I haven't done in a while, and that is introduce you to a talented band here in the Denver area. The band is foma*. Yes, all lowercase and the asterisk is included. I never bothered to ask why or what "foma" stands for, though I'm pretty sure it's not the Florida Osteopathic Medical Association. The next time I run into frontman Jace Smykil, I'll try to remember to ask him. Why, yes, as a matter of fact, that would be the same Jace Smykil who appeared in Evolution Theatre Company's world premiere musical BREACH at the Avenue Theater last month, as mentioned here on this blog. Thanks for remembering.
Whatever the meaning behind the band's name, foma* rocks.

I'm not sure exactly how I would classify foma*'s sound (nor can I adequately express how bizarre it is for me to follow an asterisk with an apostrophe), but here is the description from their Facebook page:
"Their sonic palette combines a blend of rock-alternative, funk, blues, and is lightly peppered with a pinch of country twang."
Yeah, I'd agree with that. I've been listening to the band's album, Songs for the Surgeon General, which is available for sale at cdbaby.com or downloadable from iTunes. If you want to hear a few more tracks before adding foma* to your music collection, you can check out their MySpace page, or right now you can check out this live performance of "Timid Tigers," the first track on the album.

Happy Tuesday, everybody.

No comments: