Search This Blog

Monday, January 15, 2007

The Better To See You With, My Dear 1/15

I'm sorry that I've been a bit behind in my updates, but I got stuck in a chimney this week. (Don't ask.)
I also haven't seen many movies this week, but here's what I did see:

It Runs In the Family (2003)

The plot: Three generations of Grombergs (played, in part, by three generations of Douglases) deal with love, loss, and family in New York City.

After Kirk Douglas's stroke in 1995, I expect that both father and son (Michael) thought that if they were going to make a movie together, it had better be soon. (Thankfully, the cleft-chinned nonagenarian is still going strong.)
Though a something of a family "vanity" project (Michael's son Cameron is also in the cast), this is still a pretty good movie. Not everything really wraps up at the end, but sometimes we as American audiences are a bit spoiled when it comes to having our stories tied up with neat little bows. Life is ongoing, and maybe that's the point of this movie. You take what life gives you and you keep moving on.
For Broadway buffs, modern Great White Way icons Bernadette Peters, Annie Golden, and Audra McDonald are all featured in this film.
I liked it well enough, which isn't exactly a ringing endorsement, but I definitely wouldn't call it a pan, either. This could have been just so much fluff, but it's not.

REMINDER: PHAMALy's Our Town is playing at the Aurora Fox Theater this month. It's definitely worth seeing. Don't miss it.

No comments: