Search This Blog

Sunday, January 28, 2007

Deeper In The Woods

I had an opportunity last weekend to see a production of Metro State College of Denver's production of The Robber Bridegroom again. You may recall that it was among my favorite shows that I saw in 2006. (The title of this blog entry is also the title of one of the more haunting melodies in the show.) It was being re-staged in preparation for performance on a proscenium stage at this next weekend's RMTA Festivention in Gunnison, Colorado. As I understand it, the production has won an RMTA award, and part of their prize is the honor of performing at The Festivention.
I mention this, not because I expect anyone to travel to Gunnison to see this show (though I think it would be worth the trip), but to say, once again, how thoroughly I enjoyed this production. It was, without a doubt, the best musical I saw in 2006, and the best production of The Robber Bridegroom (one of my favorite musicals) that I have yet seen. (Courtney Capek's performance has cemented her in my mind as the consummate Rosamund.)
Now, I did not read a review of this show in the Rocky Mountain News or the Denver Post. I simply caught site of a poster as I was walking through the Auraria Campus after seeing a horrid independent film at the Tivoli.
I didn't pay $65 for a ticket. Or $35. Or even $20. If I recall correctly, I saw the show for around $10, and, as I said, it was one of the best shows I saw last year.
I encourage you, theatregoers, to seek out campus productions for your evening's entertainment. Young, hungry performers can frequently make for a lively or compelling evening's entertainment. Don't limit your theatre attending to just the big names around town. Often, they have too much overhead to take risks on lesser-known musicals or controversial plays. The academic world is somewhat insulated from the demands of box office receipts. Broaden your horizons, and don't be afraid to look "Deeper In The Woods."
And, fear not, dear readers. If you are reluctant to venture out alone, I will do some venturing first. You can look back here from time to time and see what I have to say about what you should see. (Metro's next show will be Once On This Island. Should be worth a look.)

Speaking of shows worth seeing:

PHAMALy's Our Town runs through February 4th.

No comments: