Search This Blog

Friday, January 19, 2007

Don't make me tell you again.

I heard, with my giant wolf ears, a bit of news that I find as disturbing as I do baffling.

Apparently, Thursday night's performance of Our Town garnered an audience of only 30 people. Can this be true? Is it possible that you have not heeded my recommendation that you must see this show?
Surely not. Surely a company as widely beloved in this city as PHAMALy wouldn't even require urging from me or anyone else to have full or near-full houses for every night of their limited, four-weekend run.
Regan Linton will most assuredly receive an Ovation nomination for her performance. (And if she doesn't, John Moore had better live in a brick house for his own sake.) Do you want to be one of the people who says, " I wish I'd seen that," or "I meant to catch that"?
This is Our Town, one of the finest and most definitive American plays ever written. I know you've seen mediocre productions of this play. So have I. This is not one of them. This is PHAMALy. Denver's PHAMALy. No other city on the planet has a PHAMALy.
Don't trust the Wolf? Fine. John Moore and I don't agree all that often, but we are undivided on Our Town. Read John's review. You like John Moore, don't you?
Okay, so we're agreed. People of Denver, inhabitants of the Front Range, embracers of Americana: make your reservations now. There are only three weekends left.
I don't want to hear about any more partially-filled houses.
Are we clear?

No comments: