Search This Blog

Monday, April 2, 2007

Broadway in your living room

The Broadway Theatre Archive videos have been around for a while, but I'm not sure that everyone knows about them. Basically, they are televised performances of Broadway shows from the 60's through the 80's. Unfortunately, you're not likely to find them at your local video store, but I'm happy to say that I have found them on Netflix.
Last night I watched the 1977 Circle in the Square production of Moliere's Tartuffe. That was a lot of fun. Not all of the original cast are in the videotaped version (most notably missing is Swoosie Kurtz as Marianne), but Alias fans may get a kick out of seeing a very young Victor Garber as Valere. Sometimes in television and movies we get used to seeing actors cast in the same kinds of roles over and over.
That's called "typecasting," boys and girls. Can you say "typecasting?" I knew that you could.
(Sorry, had a Mr. Rogers moment there.)
Anyway, many actors well-known TV and film actors will go to the stage to get away from just that sort of thing. (Of course, since TV and film pay better, they usually go right back.)
The Broadway Theatre Archive provides an opportunity for those of us outside New York to see actors like Victor Garber, Ray Wise, and Tammy Grimes in roles unlike we are used to seeing them.
Anyway, I thought I'd share that with those of you who enjoy seeing good theatre as much as I do.

No comments: