Search This Blog

Friday, June 22, 2007

Movie: Stranger Than Fiction

I resisted seeing this movie. I did not resist because I am not a fan of Will Ferrell. I did not resist because I think that Will Ferrell movies are ridiculous excuses for farce that appeal to the lowest common denominator of movie-goer. I did not resist because I think his movies and their subsequent success are bringing down the quality of American film as a whole.
I resisted seeing this movie because I believe all of the above statements, and I wanted to go on believing them. I had created a closed-minded illusion of the world for myself, and I was afraid to allow anything onto my personal view-screen which would serve to shatter that illusion - something that I had a sneaking certainty that Stranger Than Fiction would do.
However, the draw of a clever story, plus the added allure of actors Emma Thompson, Dustin Hoffman, and the enticing Maggie Gyllenhaal ultimately proved too much for me. I stopped at my local video store (okay, video kiosk) and picked up a copy.
Indeed, today, my world was changed forever. Will Ferrell demonstrated with sheer brilliance his ability to bring to life the everyman whose comfortable but mundane world comes crashing in around him. This further exacerbates the tragedy of films like Talladega Nights and Starsky and Hutch.
Another tragedy brought to light by this film is the fact that, due to an illustrious past in hip-hop culture, one of today's best African-American actresses is named "Queen."
This was a terrific movie, with dazzling performances, a beautiful score, and stunning cinematography. It even has two of the guys from the Sonic Drive-In commercials that I like so much.
When you see this film (if you haven't already), make sure you watch the DVD extras, which contain two hilarious scenes that were used primarily for background. Kristin Chenoweth demonstrates just how under-rated a comic performer she is as dim-bulb Book Channel talk-show host, Darlene Sunshine.
I can honestly say that I have never been so glad to be wrong about a movie. Does this mean I now have to watch The Dukes of Hazzard:The Movie?

No comments: