Search This Blog

Saturday, July 24, 2010

Save the World Saturday: My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys

I think I can pretty safely say that my favorite movie of all time is George Roy Hill's Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid (1969). I love the story, the characters, the acting - I just drink it in. I can often be heard to quote lines from the movie in everyday life.
When having a particularly bad day, I may be heard to exclaim: "Kid, the next time I say let's go someplace like Bolivia, let's go someplace like Bolivia!"
To someone who has taken a particular endeavor or conversation just a bit too far (often myself), I may say: "Think ya used enough dynamite there, Butch?"
Ask me if I know what I'm doing, and I'll usually answer, "Theoretically."

Now, I know it's Saturday and not Friday, so I'm not writing today to tell you why you should see Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid. (I will assume you already have or are making plans to do so directly.)
I mention the movie because Paul Newman (Butch) borrowed the name of Butch Cassidy's infamous Hole In The Wall gang for his own organization which he started in 1988. The Hole In The Wall Camps provide outdoor recreation for kids diagnosed with cancer, HIV/AIDS, and other life-threatening illnesses.
Here's a video of the late actor and humanitarian on his motivation behind starting the camps. (There appears to be a little bit of visual distortion in the video, but you get the idea.)

And here are a couple of longer videos that give a first-hand look at what these camps mean for kids and their families:


Now, the Hole In The Wall Camps do still receive a portion of their funding from the sale of the Newman's Own line of products (100% of the after tax profits of that line go to charity), but it was always Paul Newman's plan that after the initial seed money was used the camps would become self-reliant for raising funds, allowing the Newman's Own money to go further and into new endeavors.
What that means is that the Hole In The Wall camps and the many campers who enjoy them still need the generous support of people like you.

No comments: