Search This Blog

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Theatre Thursday: Up, Up, and Away

As the on-again/off-again buzz of Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark - the Julie Taymor/Bono/Edge musical set for a someday opening on Broadway - wanes again, the small demographic of musical superhero fanboys must turn our eyes toward Dallas, Texas, and the Dallas Theater Center's revival/reworking of the 1966 Broadway musical It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's Superman!

The musical is supposedly Broadway bound after its Dallas closing, though it will have to raise considerably more than its current $800,000 budget in order to make that happen.
Some are now predicting that a Superman musical will be going head-to-head against a Spider-Man musical in 2011.
My prediction? Two cast/concept albums, a small tour of mid-size cities for Supes, and a pared-down Vegas show for Spidey. (If they're lucky, that is. Ice Capades if they're not.)
Meanwhile, I am still looking for investors for my Doc Savage: The Musical!
 

3 comments:

davidk said...

Sorry...I won't be helping out on a Doc Savage musical anytime soon.

However, if you'd be interested in collaborating on a "Metal Men" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_Men) musical, I'd be down for that.

Brady Darnell said...

I'll get to work on that. . . what rhymes with Mercury?

By the way, I really like how _Batman: The Brave and the Bold_ revived that team.

davidk said...

Yup. I loved the Metal Men when I was a kid. One of my favorite stories with them was a crossover they did with Superman. Good stuff.

As far as a rhyme for Mercury, what about Tertiary. We could have the character pronounce it wrong. It would be like a Stephen Schwartz musical.