Search This Blog

Saturday, July 10, 2010

Save the World Saturday: What Was Your First Book?

I don't know whether it was actually my first book or not, but the first book I remember having was one that probably many of you remember as well: Curious George. I remember the bright yellow cover with the little brown monkey being carried by the two guys in uniform - firemen, I think.
It was a very simple, very clever little story about an overly curious little monkey who just can't seem to keep out of trouble.
The only thing more magical than the story coming to life through pictures when read to me by my dad was the funny little shapes and symbols coming to life later when I began to learn how to read the words on the page myself.
I think that many of you reading this blog can recall the experience of your first book and of first learning to read. Imagine what your life would be like if you hadn't had that first book.
This is an unfortunate reality for many children and the impetus behind the First Book project.
First Book provides books to disadvantaged children so that every child can experience the magic of his or her first book.

No comments: