Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Tuesday Tunes: Don't Wanna Fall in Love With a Midnight Blue Monster in the Mirror

On me, this look would have
been an accident waiting
to happen.
I remember how extreme we all thought Jane Child's look was back in 1990 when the Canadian pop star's "Don't Wanna Fall in Love" blew up on the U.S. charts. That nose chain would've been downright tame at this year's Grammy ceremonies. For Ms. Child's birthday today, let's go back and take a look at the hit that made her famous.

From the lesser-known
thriller Attack of the Sweater.
Another musical birthday today belongs to the lovely Melissa Manchester. Most prominent in the 70s and early 80s, her heartfelt vocal interpretations remain absolutely timeless. Ms. Manchester also dabbled a bit as an actress in movies and television. (She played Blossom's mom, remember?) One of my favorite songs of hers is the soulful "Midnight Blue." (Give the video a few seconds. The music doesn't start until about 00:19.)

. . . and that, boys and
girls, is what's called
a "commodity market."
Finally, it was brought to my attention by my friend and fellow blogger Jenn Zuko (of Bonzuko.com) that today is Grover Appreciation Day, so, to show my appreciation of my favorite Sesame Street character, here is the original "Monster In the Mirror" music video. This is the one without the celebrity cameos, and - with full appreciation to celebrities who give their time to the CTW - I just like it better. (2:06 always slays me.)

Wubba Wubba Wubba Wubba Woo Woo Woo, Cherubs. Happy Tuesday.

No comments: