Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Wildlife Wednesday: What's Wrong with Cream of Mushroom?

I continue to be angered, saddened, and ashamed by human decadence in regard to the animal world. I've written before about the barbaric practice of killing rhinoceros for their horns - decimating their population to critical numbers - all in the interest of creating an aphrodisiac  - the potency of which is wholly fictional.
Well, there is a similarly atrocious practice occurring in our oceans. Sharks are captured, their tails and fins are cut off - often while they are still alive - and they are thrown back into the ocean. If they are not killed by the savagery inflicted upon them by the fisherman, they soon bleed to death or drown due to their inability to swim.
And what is the purpose of this ghastly practice that is moving Hammerheads and other sharks further along the endangered list?
Soup. Really expensive soup.

I don't know about you, but this infuriates me. Maybe sharkfin soup tastes really good, I don't know, but, if this brutal treatment of the creatures means I'll never get to try it, I really can live with that.
You can read more about this - and how you can help to end this practice - on the Defenders of Wildlife blog.
I know that sometimes sharks get a bad rap, but the reality is that there are only about 60 shark attacks on humans every year all over the world. (Given the above practice, I think that a higher number would be certainly justified.) Very, very few of those attacks are fatal.
The fact is that sharks are at the top of the food chain in the oceans (excluding humans, who it now seems will eat just about anything). Nature requires a delicate balance, and removing the top predator throws that balance out of whack. So, even if you don't happen to agree with me that sharks are marvelous, beautiful animals (that I am perfectly content to admire from a distance), the practice of shark-finning has a significant negative impact on the oceanic eco-system.
And, again, folks, this for soup.
I think I'm going to go ahead and stop writing now since my head hurts from banging it against my desk.
Here, watch this shark video:

Isn't that a cool video? There's more like it on the BlueWorldTV YouTube page.
Also, be sure to check out the Defenders of Wildlife blog.

No comments: