Search This Blog

Saturday, December 23, 2006

The last book I read 12/23/06

"The better to see you with" I am already using for my movie entries, and "the better to comprehend you with" is just silly. (I'm told.) So, the title for my book entries is bit more on the prosaic side, at least for now. I'm open to suggestions. (I can scoff with the best of 'em.)
I had all of these great statistics about how many people actually read anymore, but I can't seem to remember where I wrote them down, so perhaps I'll share them next time. However, if I can paraphrase, to the best of my recollection, the ultimate analysis of the study:
Turn off the flippin' tube! Just because the WB refuses to cancel "7th Heaven" doesn't mean you have to watch it!
Or, something like that.
So, anyway, the last book I read to completion (I'm usually juggling four or five at a time) was a classic, and one of my favorites:
H.G. Wells's The Time Machine

Now, if you saw the 2002 film only, you don't really have the story. (Nice effects, but really just stupid.) The 1960 version is a better reflection of Wells's story, but even there you don't really get the beauty of the language. Wells's narrative, from the point of view of the time traveller is rich in description and analysis. I remember the first time I read this book I was learning about the scientific method in school, and this story really made clear to me the idea of conclusions, hypotheses, and theories, as the traveller encounters the worlds of the Eloi and the Morlocks in A.D. 802,701.
Now, I know some of you are rolling your eyes and saying "sounds riveting."
Actually it is. Even though I know how it ends, Wells always keeps me on the edge of my seat. This really is an intense and action-filled story.
Also, this is a great book to get back into reading with, if you haven't picked one up in a while. It's not too long, and it's a lot of fun, and it makes you think. (No, that's a good thing. It is!)

No comments: