Search This Blog

Sunday, December 31, 2006

Reflections on Denver Theatre 2006

The Ovation Award winners have been announced. Congratulations to those chosen and all of the nominees. Public acknowledgement of one's work is a nice thing.

I also want to acknowledge those who were not nominated but put forth some amazing performances throughout this year.
I'm not sure exactly what qualifies -- or disqualifies -- a production for nomination. Does it have to have been reviewed by John Moore? If so, that disqualifies a lot of really good shows that only ran for a couple of weekends or that slipped under the Denver Post's radar. Don't get me wrong. the Ovation Awards are a good thing, and it's nice of John to go to the effort. It isn't practical to include every show performed in the greater Denver area in 2006 for consideration, and I think that John does a lot to keep the process fair and largely free from favoritism. It's not a perfect process.
I myself saw just over 30 shows this year (some more than once), so I would like to acknowledge what I saw as some stand-out productions this year, and companies to keep an eye on in 2007. This will include a bit of overlapping with the Ovation Awards, but also some shows that were probably missed by the "selection committee." I'm choosing not to single out individuals as I will inevitably leave someone out. (And, with my luck, it would be someone who carries pepper spray.)

Of the shows that I saw in 2007, these really impressed me:



The Pajama Game and My Fair Lady - Performance Now (looking forward to their Gypsy next year)

The Wiz - PHAMALy (Our Town opens in January with mostly the same cast)

The Full Monty - Arvada Center (I know I said it's not as funny as the movie, but it's still funny, and it was well done.)

Bat Boy, The Musical - Boulder Broadway Company (If anybody knows what they've got lined up in 2007, please let me know.)

The Intelligent Design of Jenny Chow - NextStage (Save the Phoenix! Save the Phoenix!)
Smell of the Kill -The Avenue Theatre

As It Is In Heaven - The Backstage Theatre

Equus - Lake Dillon Theatre Company

Proof - Evergreen Players

Tartuffe: Born Again - Germinal Stage

The Dresser - Bas Bleu

Turn of the Screw - Modern Muse Theatre

The Robber Bridegroom - Metro State College of Denver

Urinetown - Score Marketing

Cinderella - Town Hall Arts Center


Keep up the good work in 2007, gang, and I'll do what I can to help keep your seats filled.

No comments: