Search This Blog

Thursday, February 11, 2010

The Footprint of Footlights

I have of late been rather fascinated by the development of LED lighting for the stage. LEDs appear to be as bright while having a longer life with less heat output and less energy use. They are a bit more expensive at the outset (though not so much in the long term when factoring the cost of replacement bulbs in traditional lighting fixtures), and there are still some applications for which LEDs haven't been effectively used. (I haven't seen an LED follow spot yet, but that doesn't mean that there isn't one.) Still, the thought of being able to produce a show with a fraction of the energy use is the kind of forward thinking I can get behind.
So, I've been wondering: What other ways can we make our theaters more green?
For starters, we can share ideas. I just signed up for the Green Theater Iniatiative's newsletter. You might want to as well.

No comments: