Search This Blog

Monday, February 22, 2010

How Do You Solve a Problem Like Nokia?

While I must say that I find it astounding that people still don't seem to think the "Please Silence Your Cellphones" messages apply to them, it does continue to be a problem.
As a director (and perhaps a bit of a control freak), I like to render the entire experience of the audience from the time that they sit in their seats to the time that they head out to their cars. This includes pre-show, intermission, and post-show music that I choose with the diligence of a love-struck freshman making a mix tape for the head cheerleader. I do not like having to interrupt that with a pre-show announcement about something that people should already know by now. (And experience has shown that it isn't even all that effective, anyway.)
This New York Times article addresses the conundrum of the pre-show cellphone/general etiquette announcement, but leaves the question up for debate.
So, let me ask you this, my little cherubs:
What do you think we should do?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I like the theaters who simply block the ability to make or receive calls. However, I notice that there are still jerks who do other stuff on their phones while in the theater, and who persist in doing so despite being asked to turn the thing off and then having theater personnel summoned to deal with them -- twice, no less. Bah.