Search This Blog

Friday, November 19, 2010

Friday Film Buff: Rough Riders

One of my favorite unsung Westerns of all time is Duel at Diablo from 1966. There are a number of things I love about this film. First and foremost, it's a James Garner film, and that immediately puts it high on my list as I make no secret of the fact that he is my favorite actor. Ever.
It's also a great story - dark and a bit gruesome at times, but great nevertheless. It's based on the novel Apache Rising by Marvin Albert, and it features Sidney Poitier, Bibi Andersson, Dennis Weaver, Bill Travers, and a lot of pretty incredible stunt work on (and off) horseback. A retired producer and editor named Jerry Lee has a YouTube page under the username jleepixprod, on which he generously uploads old behind-the-scenes features and more, including this great piece on Duel at Diablo. (Thank you, Jerry Lee. You are one of the people that makes the internet great for film buffs like us.)

Pretty cool, huh? One of my favorite things about Westerns from the sixties and seventies are the quirky, cool, spaghetti-western inspired scores. And, of course, Duel at Diablo's score by Neal Hefti is one of my absolute favorites.

Naturally, I have my own copy of Duel at Diablo on DVD (say that 3 times fast), and, no, you can't borrow it, but guess what? The whole movie is available to watch on Hulu.com or right here embedded on my blog. How 'bout them apples, cherubs? A movie blog that includes an entire movie!

1 comment:

MorganLvr said...

James Garner is my all time favorite actor too, and this my well be my favorite among all his movies. There's just something about this one.

I have the soundtrack on LP, and it's super. The first cut on side B is a vocal - words sung to the main title theme. Not a bad song either. :)