Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Wild Card:Puppy Love

I was going to save this for Save-the-World-Saturday, but this particular group has an event this Saturday that I want you all to know about ahead of time.
The group is Rocky Mountain Puppy Rescue, and their name is pretty self-explanatory, but there are a couple of things that I wanted to share anyway.
There is no single shelter as part of Rocky Mountain Puppy Rescue. Instead, a network of puppy foster parents take in the pups, feed them, nurture them, play with them, and prepare them for loving homes. I recently met a few of the foster parents and one fostered puppy named Sheriff. I also met a little guy named Oscar whose mommy is affectionately referred to as a "foster fail": she was fostering Oscar and then decided she couldn't part with the little fella. These are serious dog lovers who make up this group.
I am a strong advocate over adopting a rescue dog over purchasing one, because there are a lot of great dogs out there already in need of homes.
Here's an article from the Humane Society that gives a little more information about this philosophy.
Adoptions occur at weekend events. The next one will be on November 6th from 11:00am to 2:00pm at the Northglenn PetSmart at 104th and I-25. There are a few guidelines you will want to look into - all of which are available on the Rocky Mountain Puppy Rescue site.
I also found this great video series on eHow.com about puppy training. Here is the first video in the series:

How to Prepare for a Puppy -- powered by eHow.com
Rocky Mountain Puppy Rescue is a member of Petfinder.com and they get my personal recommendation as well, and you all know how I feel about puppies.
Check out their event this weekend. you just might find a new member of your family.

No comments: