Search This Blog

Monday, January 10, 2011

Monday Motivator: Illumination of Heart

Note: I was having technical issues on Sunday and into today, so that is why there was no Superhero Sunday entry yesterday. I have decided that I will instead double-up on next Sunday's entries.
For today, I thought I'd go back to the font of wisdom that is Dr. Wayne Dyer. However, instead of sharing another video of the good Doctor, I thought I'd instead treat you to some poetry by one of Dr. Dyer's favorite and oft-quoted poets, Rumi.

Soul receives from soul that knowledge, therefore not by book nor from tongue.
If knowledge of mysteries come after emptiness of mind, that is illumination of heart.
Rumi was a 13th century mystical Sufi poet, and the wisdom of his words is sometimes quickly revealed, but often the words need to be turned over in the mind for a while to glean the full meaning. (The word "ruminate" does not have any link to the great poet's name, but it makes for an interesting coincidence.)

    This World Which Is Made of Our Love for Emptiness 
    Praise to the emptiness that blanks out existence. Existence: This place made from our love for that emptiness!  Yet somehow comes emptiness, this existence goes.  Praise to that happening, over and over! For years I pulled my own existence out of emptiness.  Then one swoop, one swing of the arm, that work is over.  Free of who I was, free of presence, free of dangerous fear, hope, free of mountainous wanting.  The here-and-now mountain is a tiny piece of a piece of straw blown off into emptiness.  These words I'm saying so much begin to lose meaning: Existence, emptiness, mountain, straw:  Words and what they try to say swept out the window, down the slant of the roof.

The meaning of the words may differ from person to person, so I won't attempt to tell you what the wisdom is in each of these poems. Mostly, I am still absorbing them myself.


    These spiritual window-shoppers, who idly ask, 'How much is that?' Oh, I'm just looking. They handle a hundred items and put them down, shadows with no capital.  What is spent is love and two eyes wet with weeping. But these walk into a shop, and their whole lives pass suddenly in that moment, in that shop.  Where did you go? "Nowhere." What did you have to eat? "Nothing much."  Even if you don't know what you want, buy _something,_ to be part of the exchanging flow.  Start a huge, foolish project, like Noah.  It makes absolutely no difference what people think of you.

They are beautiful, regardless of meaning, even though they were not originally written in English.

If thou wilt be observant and vigilant, thou wilt see at every moment the response to thy action. Be observant if thou wouldst have a pure heart, for something is born to thee in consequence of every action.


Happy Monday, cherubs.

No comments: