Search This Blog

Sunday, December 26, 2010

Superhero Sunday: Is There Life On Mars?

I'll be honest with you. There is not a whole lot of planning that goes into this blog. I pretty much sit down in front of my computer and ask myself "What day is it again?"
"Thursday? Okay." And then I write something theatre-related. I generally don't have any idea who my Sunday Supehero is going to be until, well, Sunday.
This time, however, I was hanging out earlier in the week with my friend Jeff Gamet of The Mac Observer, and we were tearing through a container of Newman-Os. (They're like Oreos with a conscience.) Knowing that Jeff is as much of a comic book geek as I am, I decided to test him:
"Hey, Jeff, which DC superhero would love these cookies?"
I won't betray Jeff's geek cred by telling what his answer was or was not.
Do you know?
If you said, "The Martian Manhunter, Wolf Boy," then you are correct, and what makes you think you know me well enough to call me "Wolf Boy?"
I'm just kidding. You can totally call me "Wolf Boy."
Yes, it is the Martian Manhunter, super powerful Martian refugee and member of the Justice League who has a particular fondness for these chocolate cookies referred to as "Chocos" in the comics for trademark reasons.
Jeff suggested that I write a blog on the mysterious alien superhero for this week's superhero blog, so, for the first time in who knows how long, the One Big Bad Wolf blog starts the week with a plan. (Don't worry. I won't make it a habit.)
In the original continuity, the Martian J'onn J'onnz was accidentally transported to Earth by an experimental transportation beam. Trapped on Earth, J'onnz used his shape-shifting ability to become police detective John Jones and fight the criminal scum here on our planet. Retroactive continuity has changed J'onnz's story over the years to make him the last living Martian. His powers have changed from time to time depending upon who was writing him, but, essentially, the Martian Manhunter was created to capitalize on the popularity of Superman in much the same way that Green Arrow was basically a Batman clone. Like Green Arrow, the Martian Manhunter has gained a following on his own, though, and, over time, has become a supremely unique and powerful character in his own right.
Like Superman, the Manhunter can fly, fire powerful beams from his eyes, see through walls, and even freeze things with his breath. He is also arguably as strong as Superman. On top of Superman's abilities, J'onnz is a powerful telepath, possesses telekinetic abilities, and can make himself both invisible and intangible. Borrowing from another DC mainstay, J'onnz is also a brilliant detective just like Batman.
Basically, the Martian Manhunter is one bad mother - SHUT YOUR MOUTH!
But I'm talkin' 'bout Martian Manhunter.
Can you dig it?
The Martian Manhunter is one of the most interesting characters in the DC Universe mostly because he is full of surprises.

No comments: