Search This Blog

Saturday, December 11, 2010

Save-the-World Saturday: You Have the Right

Yesterday, as many of you know, was Human Rights day, and the whole of December is Human Rights Awareness Month, so I wanted to share this video of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights:

(A quick update: Aung San Suu Kyi was finally released on November 13, 2010.)
The organization behind the video, the Human Rights Action Center has been the most active international organization working to secure her release, so good for them.
A second video was also made featuring notable celebrities reading the articles of the declaration:

Another organization I want to share with you today is The Advocates for Human Rights. Here is their mission statement:
"The mission of The Advocates for Human Rights is to implement international human rights standards in order to promote civil society and reinforce the rule of law. By involving volunteers in research, education, and advocacy, we build broad constituencies in the United States and select global communities."

I will leave you today with a poem from Pastor Martin Niemöller, a victim of the Nazis:


First they came for the Jews 
And I did not speak out 
Because I was not a Jew. 


Then they came for the communists 
And I did not speak out 
Because I was not a communist.
 
Then they came for the trade unionists 
And I did not speak out 
Because I was not a trade unionist.

Then they came for me 
And by that time 
There was no one left to speak up.

No comments: