Search This Blog

Saturday, December 4, 2010

Save the World Saturday: In Your Face

Hello, cherubs, I'm back. Thank you for your indulgence. I may tell you more about why I was away later . . . or I may not. We'll see.
Today, however, I want to tell you about the new user-initiated Facebook campaign: Childhood Cartoon Faces. The goal is to raise awareness of violence against children by changing your profile picture to a cartoon from your childhood between now and December 6th. (I think that the similar game I mentioned on my Plastic Man blog may have been a trial run.) Ultimately, the hope is that on December 6th, there will not be a single human face on Facebook.
If you're not on Facebook, but know someone who is, ask them what cartoon they chose. Get the conversation going, reminisce about your childhood heroes, and remember that the purpose of this game is to raise awareness about children whose childhood memories may not be quite as rosy.
I chose Captain Caveman this time around. Don't know Captain Caveman? Oh, just you wait until Sunday, my little piglets.
If you would like to go a step beyond just raising awareness, then permit me to direct you toward the Denver Children's Advocacy Center.

There are many organizations like the DCAC in communities around the nation. Find out about the groups in your area (you get how the Google thing works, I trust you) and see how you can help.
Feel free to mention them here in the comments section, too. (Worry not, your Big Bad Wolf screens all spam.)

No comments: